Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
This one pot recipe is the perfect cold weather treat for the whole family.
- 1 tablespoon and 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 20 oz crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 14 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped and dived. Save 1/4 for garnish
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 Tortilla Strips: Preheat a pan with 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Cut tortillas into thin strips and fry them in batches in the hot oil until crisp. Remove from the pan and allow them to drain on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips, adding more oil as needed then set aside.
- 2 Chicken Tortilla Soup: Preheat a pot with oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and chopped jalapeño and sauté until veggies soften.
- 3 Add whole chicken, corn, beans, chilli powder, cumin, crushed tomatoes, salt, ¼ cup of cilantro and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer for at least 25 minutes.
- 4 Remove chicken from the pot and shred it using 2 forks. Add shredded chicken back to the soup and simmer another 5 minutes then add lime juice.
- 5 Serve the soup with some tortilla strips, pieces of avocado, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.