Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
A little unconventional, but delicious all the same!
- 2lbs ground veal
- 1lb ground lamb
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 slices of lean bacon, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1/4 cup fine, fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated montasio or Parmesan cheese
- Salt To Taste
- 3 cups chicken stock or low sodium broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2lbs thin scallions, trimmed
- Vegetable oil for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- One 3oz piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved with a vegetable peeler into strips
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 Light a grill. In a large bowl, using your hands, mix the ground veal and lamb with the eggs, bacon, shallots, fresh bread crumbs, ricotta, montasio and 2 teaspoons of salt. Shape the mixture into 40 golf ball-size meatballs.
- 2 In a wide saucepan, bring the chicken stock and water to a boil. Add half of the meatballs and simmer over moderately low heat until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 3 Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked meatballs to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining meatballs.
- 4 On another large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the scallions with vegetable oil and season with salt. Working in 3 batches, grill the scallions over high heat for about 2 minutes, turning once, until charred on both sides; return the grilled scallions to the baking sheet.
- 5 Gently toss the grilled scallions with the olive oil and Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings. Grill the preserved lemon halves over high heat, cut side down, for about 4 minutes, or until charred. Squeeze the grilled lemon halves over the scallions and toss again. Arrange the scallions on a platter.
- 6 Drizzle the meatballs lightly with vegetable oil and roll to coat. Grill the meatballs over high heat, rolling to turn them, until lightly charred all over and heated through, about 3 minutes total.
- 7 Using tongs, arrange the meatballs on top of the scallions and serve.