Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
A delicious substitute for the grill.
- 1/2 cup hickory, apple or apricot wood chips
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3lbs chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into two pieces
- 1 Light a gas grill. Wrap the wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the foil packet with a skewer. Add the packet to the grill. Cover and let the wood chips begin to smoke, 5 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the apricot preserves with the Worcestershire sauce, light brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne and ginger.
- 3 Scrape half of the mixture into a small bowl. Add the chicken wings to the large bowl and toss to coat well in the sauce. Let the chicken wings stand for 5 minutes.
- 4 Grill the chicken wings, covered, over moderately high heat, turning them occasionally, until they are charred in spots and cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter and serve the reserved sauce on the side.