Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 6 servings
A less traditional option but delicious all the same.
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1lb Lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 28oz can tomato puree
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- Chopped parsley, for topping
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- 2 Add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until they start to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- 3 Stir in the rice, then add the broth, tomato puree and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- 4 Bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cheese and parsley.