Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 8 servings
Left over steak? We got you covered.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh lemongrass
- One 2 1/2lb flank steak
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons roasted rice powder
- 1 In a large glass baking dish, mix the soy sauce with the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the lemongrass.
- 2 Add the flank steak and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3 Light a grill. Grill the flank steak over moderately high heat, turning once, until charred on the outside but still pink within, about 8 minutes.
- 4 Transfer the steak to a carving board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the steak in half lengthwise. Slice the halves across the grain 1/4 inch thick.
- 5 In a large wok or nonreactive skillet, combine the lime juice with the fish sauce, crushed red pepper, sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemongrass. Cook over moderate heat until hot.
- 6 Stir in the sliced steak along with 1 tablespoon of the marinade. Add the shallots, mint, cilantro and roasted rice powder, stirring to coat. Transfer the salad to plates and serve.